Female Genital Mutilation Project
Research conducted by BAWSO in 2008 to examine the practice of Female Genital Mutilation in Wales found that it was being practised, and that there was limited awareness about its impact.
FGM is globally recognised and condemned as a practice which breaches basic human rights. It is an act of cruelty which causes significant harm both in the long and short term.
FGM constitutes physical and emotional abuse to children and therefore contravenes the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
The Bawso FGM Health and Safeguarding Community Based project was established in 2010 to support BME women and young girls who have undergone or who are at risk of undergoing Female Genital Mutilation.
We work with communities who are hard to reach or most inclined to practice FGM. Our aim is to empower women in practicing communities to be proactive in raising awareness on the detrimental impact FGM has on lives of those who have been affected by it.
We also work with men and community leaders, policy makers and health professionals to support those who have undergone FGM and to change attitudes towards the practice.
Our project aims to:
• Raise awareness and increase receptiveness among practising communities about UK Law and the health and psychological risks of FGM
• Increase the confidence of women, men and young people within practising communities to reject the procedure as part of their identity
• Increase skills and capacity within practising communities to influence individuals, groups and statutory agencies
• Strengthen to voice of women and communities to speak out against FGM
• Improve co-ordination of activities amongst voluntary and community groups and statutory agencies working on this issue
Last year we supported 16 service users under our Female Genital Mutilation Project.
Bawso works to raise awareness of FGM and have produced an Educational booklet for health practitioners to help women and girls affected by or at risk of FGM. Please contact us to obtain copies or for further information about the project.